Friday, December 12, 2008

Yesterday I ended up meeting Wendy for lunch at Sanuki no Sato just down the street. Debbie told us that they have the best nabeyaki. I heard it's always crowded...and it was! But we got seated right away and I think it was the best nabeyaki I'd ever had! The dashi was so flavorful, there was lots of seaweed inside and they had kamaboko, bamboo shoots, shiitake mushrooms, egg, shrimp tempura...everything was so ono =).

I was going to find an antique store or go buy the lamp, but I decided to take a drive towards the coast and I ended up in Manhattan Beach...


I sat on a bench on the little pier listening to music on my phone and I had a book, but I didn't read much. I just took in the ocean air and sun, enjoying the sights. All those poles on the beach are for volleyball nets. There were a few groups playing while I was there. This guy was on some kind of board paddling away...


This is the little pier I was on before. I thought it was a good idea that the benches along the pier all faced outward...makes much more sense.

I'm planning to go to the Grammy Museum today, but I'm killing time now since the traffic is backed up because they closed part of the Hollywood fwy because of a shooting early this morning. Since being back in LA, that awareness of surroundings is coming back to me. I never really feel scared in Vegas, but I do in LA. As I've been driving around, I sense more of a boldness in people. They will look directly at you as if to puff out their chest at you. I see men checking out women with more obvious stares. And I just feel that people are more likely to be provoked here if they get a wrong look from you.
And the freeway driving here takes a little more concentration for me. So many more freeways to choose from! But I am a California girl and this feels like home to me.

No comments: