Saturday, January 24, 2009

Okay, so I found out about the 60 day freshetarian challenge a few weeks back and I thought, "That'd probably be profound, but I don't think I could hang for 60 days". I kinda put it in the back of my mind and wasn't hearing much about it at the yoga studio...until last Thur. when I found out about some seminars they were having over the weekend. So yesterday I decided I wanted to at least find out about the food part in case I wanted to go in that direction. But I told the guy that I didn't decide to do it yet. It seemed more manageable since they added a 30 day option.

I went this morning and sampled some raw foods, heard a few lectures and people shared their personal stories on why they decided to go raw. And now I'm thinking that I'll commit to the 30 day Bikram yoga challenge part...and do my best on the food part. I haven't figured that part out yet. There's a place that is working with the studio to deliver meals for $20/day...that might be the way to go for me since I don't know if I'll prepare my own food.

Things seem to be still working themselves out. I think the chiropractor at the studio wants all the participants to get measured so we can see the before and after results. There will be a filmmaker recording peoples' stories - kinda like the opposite of Supersize Me. It's supposed to start on Mon. so I guess I have a day to figure out my gameplan. My biggest concern is the food.

Maybe I'll stop by the Raw Foods near my house or research online on what I can prepare at home. I think it'll be good to buy some prepared foods and then make some myself so I learn about it. Even though doing 30 days of yoga will make a difference, one of the speakers said that nutrition is key in how our bodies function. I'm curious to see if my flexibility will improve quicker as I change my diet. My hamstrings and low back aren't very flexible and there are several poses that I have trouble with.

The morning started a little after 9am and I got home around 5pm. There was a lot of new information for me. Some of the stuff I was familiar with, but lots of nutrition - enzymes, digestive process. And some other scientific stuff like pH, energy, DNA, Hz, etc. There's so much to learn, but it was neat to meet knowledgeable people in the area. There was an iridologist (sp?) who looks at people's eyes and can give a history on that person - kinda like reading the rings on a tree trunk. He mentioned being able to get rid of some people's gray hair through minerals. I think my grays are mostly due to lack of nutrition. I remember being in Okinawa and thinking that my hair was changing because of the change in diet.

So it'll be interesting. I've known for a long time that I need to make changes in my diet, so this may be the opportune time to get that push. At the end of the talks, David had a hat to give away, but didn't know what to do so he decided to throw it (like the bridal bouquet toss!). And I got it!! So now I feel a little obligated to commit! =)

I didn't know Vegas had an area like this other than Lake Las Vegas. There's another area called The Lakes off of Durango and Desert Inn. So the Go Raw Cafe is here and we were able to have the seminars on the patio next to the water. I'd like to have any of these homes!

No comments: